Friday, November 8, 2013

foodie friday: la cubana


We're no longer the newbies in the neighborhood. La Cubana opened up about a month ago just up the street. We had tried to go right after opening but were too hungry to wait it out. Last Friday Drew and I walked up and managed to score two seats at the bar, overlooking the kitchen. At first, the temptation of getting to check out all the food was almost too much - everything looked so darn good. But we got to ask what everything was and we got to watch the two young, hip chefs work it out all night long. I've never been to Cuba so I don't know if the diner-esque feel is in any way reminiscent of a real Cuban restaurant - all I know is the staff was super friendly, the food was awesome and I'm pumped to have such a great joint just up the street.



{ The mojito was strong and flavorful. Not too sweet }



{ We started with habanero calamari that was drenched in a honey sauce that had a delicious sweet heat. The coconut shrimp were not what I expected - but some of the best I've ever had. The batter-less shrimp instead highlighted the other ingredients on the plate - showing special attention to the coconut flavor }




{ We both tried sandwiches for our mains. I got the fish sandwich- the piece of fish was perfectly grilled and seasoned and complimented with nicely with pinapple salsa and avocado smash. D tried the Pressed Cubano Sandwich which was gooey and filled with flavor from the cheese and sauces }




{ Any restaurant that offers key lime pie is a restaurant that I can get behind. The sweet little jar did not disappoint and I had to stop myself from licking it clean. D enjoyed some Cuban caffeine with a smooth espresso }


No comments:

Post a Comment