Tuesday, November 5, 2013

how to: a cheese plate

One of my most favorite things to serve (and eat) when having people over is a cheese plate. It's super simple to throw together and it's always a hit. Sometimes the cheese counter can be a little overwhelming. There's not much to it, but I thought I would walk you through my thought process when putting mine together. 

{ Start off with a pretty platter or dish big enough to fit all the tasty bits }


{ Pick your cheese: I like to pick a soft/creamy cheese (brie or goats cheese); a strong/robust flavor (blue or gorgonzola cheese); and a hard cheese (pecorino, asiago or aged cheddar) }


{ Tip: Save your rappers with the cheese names incase you or a guest really like one or all of them! }


{ Pick your meats: Prosciutto and salami are my favorites, and I always like to pick one spicy one }


{ The end bits: I always add one 'topping' - either a honey, jelly or chutney. Nuts (walnut, pecans) pair nicely with cheese - make sure to check for allergies before mixing them in with everything. Finally, cornichons (pickles) or grapes are a refreshing crunch to enjoy in between the richness of the cheese and meats. }


{ Crackers finish things off. I prefer to serve lighter crackers, so that we all get to fill up on the good stuff. Water crackers or low-sodium triscuits are my favorites }


Happy Hosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment