Monday, August 15, 2016

RIO 2016



Over the weekend, someone asked me "On a scale of 1-10 how excited are you about the Rio Olympics?" I wasn't sure of my answer, because honestly I hadn't paid a whole lot of attention leading up to the games. But as soon as we turned on the opening ceremonies, that familiar excitement washed over me and we've been glued to the TV at every opportunity.

Personally, the Olymics always make me so proud to be a Canadian. I'm proud of all of the athletes who have dedicated their lives to representing our country and the sacrifices they, their families and their couches have made. I can still remember being in Vancouver for the 2010 winter games and screaming my heart out, as we cheered on the Canadian athletes.

This year, I can't help but stop to think about the bigger picture. As the Afghanistan athletes walked into the opening ceremonies, there were only male athletes, and the announcers spoke to their all-male team, noting that it's not for lack of interest by females in Afghanistan but rather fear of showing interest, that there are no female athletes. Women are scared to show interest in sport.

I grew up playing sports, always encouraged to participate and try out for school teams. My parents coached our all-girls soccer team and were always positive and supportive. It fostered a great confidence in me, I made countless new friends and was tough the importance of team work. I struggle knowing not all girls are given equal opportunity and I hope that I get to experience and see change in my lifetime.

In the same breath, I love that the games bring the world together. Differences and diversity is celebrated. The above photo went viral of an Egyptian athlete competing against a German athlete. The volleyball governing body (not the formal title) recently changed the rules on the sports uniforms to be more inclusive of personal and ethnic preferences, which is a welcome acknowledgement and inclusive amendment.

I don't know about you but the Olympics give me all sorts of feels!
GO CANADA GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment