Friday, December 21, 2012

$25 gift giving



I met with three girlfriends from university this week to catch up over holiday drinks. They are three girls who are dear to me so I wanted to pick up something special to bring them. In previous years, I've picked up three of the same gift but this year I was inspired to be original. Two of the girls have moved into their own places, one is pursuing further education and it just felt like they needed more grown up gifts. I limited each person at $25 and each girl ended up with quite different gifts! I thought I'd share three different approaches for $25 gift giving...

For the sophisticated home owner. 
I chose a white serving platter from Home Sense. Square, clean lines - modern and classic - it will always be stylish and useful. Even better, after some scouring - I found one for $5.99! I paired a serving dish with beautiful paper coasters and name place cards from Kitchen Papers. Have you seen these - paper placemats, coasters, menu cards, seating cards? Absolutely adorably brilliant! Pretty to use when guests are over and easy to clean up- I'm obsessed.

For the downtown single girl.
My friend just moved into a condo and decorated her room in a vibrant teal color. I'm a big fan and this Kate Spade mug matched the color perfectly. With the inspiring "Seize the Day" printed on the inside, I feel it will help her start her days off on the right foot!  Priced at $22, It's a little steep for a mug - but who wouldn't want a designer mug?... and the color matched too well to leave behind!

For the chocolate loving ex-roommate.
I lived with one of the girls all four years of University. We developed a life-long friendship and spent many nights up late, chatting and snacking on chips and chocolate. One thing I know for sure, she LOVES chocolate. So I decided to spend the $25 on really great quality chocolate. Once I had my mind made up, I went straight to Soma Chocolate Maker and picked up some of my personal favorites, along with six seasonal truffles and pralines. The chocolates need to be consumed within a week and I knew this wouldn't be a problem with her!


I don't know if you'll be braving the mall this weekend, but if you are a procrastinator (I have been every year previous) - goodluck! 

1 comment: