Tuesday, October 1, 2013

apple & butternut squash soup


I associate October with fall, and I continue to do so even if it was 24 degrees out today. So regardless of the weather, and in celebration of one of my favorite seasons, I decided today was the day to make my first soup. I have to say, as a first timer, I'm pretty darn impressed with myself. I'm also somewhat curious if soup is simply really straight forward to make...? I'm going to just continue on thinking I'm one.smart.cookie... Kidding aside, this soup was deliciously creamy with a hint of sweetness from the apples. I liked tasting  the vegetables, fruit and spices all combined into smooth bursts of flavor with each spoonful. I have to say I'm sort of disappointed I waited so long to make soup! - my mind is running wild with flavor combinations I want to try next.









How to Make : Apple & Butternut Squash Soup
{ Serves 4 }

1 white onion 
2 garlic cloves 
5-7 carrots 
2 sticks of celery
2 macintosh apples
1 butternut squash
carton low sodium vegetable stock
1 tbsp butter, olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp maple syrup

1. Cut the butternut squash in half and place on cookie sheet. Roast in over for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. 
2. Chop your vegetables (onion, garlic, carrots, celery)  and apples into small pieces. The pieces don't have to be super small, you end up pureeing everything at the end. 
3. Sauté the onions and garlic in the butter and olive oil, then add in celery, carrots and apples. Continue to cook on low-medium heat until softened.
4. Spoon in soft, roasted squash. 
5. Pour in vegetable stock, maple syrup and garam masala.
6. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Spoon into blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back into pot to stay warm. (if you have a hand blender, you can blend it right in the pot until smooth)

Serve & Enjoy!
 { Tip: We added in some blue cheese for a creamy tang }


No comments:

Post a Comment