Tuesday, October 20, 2015

smoked salmon puff pastry


We we're asked to bring an appetizer to a friends place recently and my mind went into overdrive trying to think of something other then my typical cheese plate go-to. Although it might not qualify as a fall themed appetizer, smoked salmon always seems to be a big hit. We decided to check out our local fish shop De La Mer and they had two house cured varieties to choose from - one cured in gin & beets and a second in vodka & dill. Knowing I wanted to pair it with dill, I chose the vodka & dill. I bought the store made puff pastry roll for the first time and was so impressed at how easy it was to roll out and bake. Luckily for me, this was one of those made up ideas that worked out even better then I had imagined.


Smoked Salmon Puff Pastry

1 sheet of store bought puff pastry
150-200 grams of smoked salmon
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
3 large sprigs of fresh dill
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 cup of cream cheese
1 egg
1 lemon 

1. Take puff pastry out of freezer and let thaw. Unroll on baking sheet and brush top with beaten egg. Bake as per instructions and let cool.
2. Whip sour cream and cream cheese together in a bowl. Stir in half of the dill and juice of half a lemon.
3. Spread cream evenly over cooled tart with offset spatula. 
4. Lay smoke salmon on top of cream. Top with red onion and dill. Squeeze lemon on top before serving.
5. Cut into serving portions and enjoy! (I imagine you could cut the pastry into smaller bite sized portions before baking if preferred)

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I bet adding capers would be a nice salty touch also!

    ReplyDelete