Wednesday, July 15, 2015

how to: an at-home manicure


One of my favorite treats to myself is getting my nails done. It's so relaxing and feels like such a luxury to have beautifully painted nails. I used to go to a salon near by work that had a great deal, but I've since upgraded to a nicer salon for my pedicures. It's cleaner and they have removable pedicure tubs - which is something I look for because it allows the salon to really clean them well and rid them of any bacteria. Given that I'm spending a bit more on pedicures, I've stepped up my at-home manicure game. I wanted to share my must have tools for a perfect, polished, professional at-home manicure.  


{ Shape & File - Make sure you get that square or rounded tip - which ever you prefer. I have a buffer  that spells out the steps, file, buff, smooth, shine (literally numbered, as you can see) - it will help rid your nail of any ridges or peels and give you a smooth surface to work with }


{ Cuticle Pusher - after soaking your fingers in warm water, use the cuticle pusher to gently push back your cuticles }

{ Cuticle trimmer - You don't want any jagged cuticles or hang nails getting in the way of a clean polish, so trim them away, careful not to go over board (my intial fear in buying myself one of these tools was that I would go clipper crazy!) } 


{ Cuticle Oil - hydrate those cuticles. Your cuticles provide protection for your nails, so it's important to keep them healthy } 


{ 'Feed Me' by Essie - a base coat with extra nutrients that will also help your color go on smooth }

{ 'Good to Go' by Essie - a fast dry top coat that gives extra shine, because there's nothing worse then doing all this work and ruining your nails somehow! }


{ Two coats of your color of choice should be applied between the base coat and top coat. Then you will have a shiny, polished, professional looking manicure }

I have to add, if you don't feel like you're able to do a good job yourself, I've learned that practice truly does make perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment