Wednesday, March 16, 2016

fring's


Leaving university I have three close girlfriends who I keep in touch with and we make the effort to get together for regular dinner dates. We catch up and chat over good food and always try to eat at new 'hip' restaurants. Last night's date involved some planning ahead in way of a reservation but we finally scored four seats at Fring's. It's Susur Lee's newest watering hole and the extra cool factor comes from the fact that Drake is co-owner.

The decor was moody and eclectic with a modern flare and there was cool rap music playing loudly. Most important, the food was spot on. We shared a pairing of their toasts, my favorite was the mushroom with gouda, and split a beet salad four ways. (Beet salad has to be the most cliche thing on restaurant menus, but this dish reminded me why - done well, it's delicious.) I had trouble choosing a large plate, simply because everything sounded amazing, but ended up settling on the spicy rigatoni. It was deliciously rich and a hearty serving, with enough for leftovers, but much to D's dismay I ate the entire bowl! I also tried a bite of the mushroom papardelle and fried chicken, which were both stellar.

I love when the food and atmosphere lives up to the hype. This place was no disappointment and will be reserved for special occasions and fancy cocktails. Check out the rest of the menu here.

No comments:

Post a Comment