Tuesday, April 25, 2017

my wedding day look


Oddly enough, when I began dress shopping, I didn't have a clear image of how I envisioned looking on my wedding day. With it being a winter wedding, I knew I'd get to wear some of the furs that have been handed down and lent to me, but I started dress shopping with a very open mind. My mom was kind enough to accompany me to 9 different appointments before I ended up choosing my dress. 

I decided on a simple Theia dress, knowing that I would change the neckline (it used to be a boat neck across the front) and add bridal buttons all the way down the back of the dress. The crepe fabric was one of the selling points, it was flattering and so comfortable. I ordered my dress at Sash & Bustle and all of the ladies were SO helpful and wonderful - and after visiting quite a few shops, I loved the vibe at this sister-owned boutique in Leslieville. 





I had fun throughout the day switching my look up with different fur coats. The shorter brown and long black ones were my grandmothers (you can see her initials in the brown one!) and the ostrich shrug was D's grandmothers, lent to my by his mom. They photographed so beautifully and kept me warm for all of our outdoor photos! 



I hired a hair stylist and make up artist from Jen Evoy Studios to come to my parents house the morning of the wedding. They worked their magic on me, my bridesmaids and the mommas. It was so nice being able to wake up at home, and just feel comfortable getting ready in a familiar setting. I had gone for a trial to figure out the look I wanted and the girls replicated it perfectly on the day of.
I loved having my hair up and pulled back from my face; I didn't have to worry about it all day long and it withstood the windy weather. My make-up look was heavier then what I wear daily and felt appropriately 'me'. A girlfriend applied a gorgeous set of eyelash extensions and I added extra volume with faux acrylic strip lashes the morning of the wedding. I wore a Dior lip gloss that I've used for other weddings - it stays put and doesn't need constant re-applying. 




Photographic evidence of a very goofy moment, trying to 'fluff' my own train! 



Because the dress was so simple, I knew I wanted to add some sass and details for an extra special flare. I chose a Karen Willis Holmes overlay skirt which was detachable, and a Theia beaded jacket. Put together, they totally transformed the look of my plain white dress. I wore just my dress for our first look, then added the two pieces to walk down the isle and Drew was so surprised - the first thing he said was "did you change!?" - it was such a sweet moment. Then I got to surprise everyone by removing the skirt and jacket to enter back into the reception after cocktails! 


It turns out that my months of working out paid of, because when I tried my dress on for the first time it was really big. All three pieces, the dress, skirt and jacket needed some serious altering. Sash & Bustle suggested getting in touch with Meghan at Shoppe & Tailor, who was so lovely and super-duper talented. She worked her magic and after five appointments, I left totally in love with my look.



I knew I didn't want to wear a necklace, so I searched and searched for the perfect earrings. The ones shown in the photo were originally set in brass and were clip-ons and were from an Italian designer that sold out on the website I found them on. As I kept looking, I kept coming back to these, knowing they were exactly what I wanted. I ended up finding the same pair on another website and ordered them right away! The ladies at Anice Jewelry helped me switch the clips out for posts and coated the brass in rhodium to achieve the silver look I wanted. They ended up being a significant investment by the time I was done, but they were perfect. I loved how they looked with my pulled back hair.

I also checked the "something old, borrowed and blue" boxes off with the bracelets I wore. I borrowed my mom's diamond tennis bracelet and paired it with an antique bracelet that was my maternal grandmothers which had beautiful blue stones in it. The layered look felt modern and simple.  


I gave some hints about a general look that I liked, but D had my engagement ring custom designed secretly all on his own. He blew me away with how beautiful it was. We worked together with the same jeweler to create our wedding bands. I asked for a simple 3/4 diamond band with a hidden setting, so the stones look really round. It turned out exactly how I wanted and I'm so in love with my rings. D went with a really cool, unique design using yellow gold and black onyx. It's a statement piece that looks so handsome on him.


I used my grandmothers beaded purse to carry a few things with me throughout the day. I've coveted this purse for years and it felt so special getting to use it on my wedding day. And I loved my Badgley Mischka shoes that I found at Nordstrom. They were delicately beaded and had a small kitten heel, which was comfortable enough to keep on almost all day and night! 

+ + + + + 

I felt so good the day of our wedding. I had worked hard to get in good shape and the different pieces of my dress came together beautifully. I loved walking up to D and surprising him with this dress that I had been hiding for months, and the costume changes later in the day only added to the fun. I've got my dress cleaned and boxed, ready for storage. I look forward to pulling it out in a few years and reliving the memories created while wearing it. 

Dress: Sash & Bustle
Hair & Makeup: Jen Evoy
Shoes: Nordstrom
Furs/Purse: Vintage
Earrings: Iossellani
Ring Box: The Mrs. Box
Alterations: Shoppe & Tailor
Photographer: Hugh Whitaker

1 comment: