Thursday, March 7, 2013

crusty, buttery croutons


I'm not the biggest fan of croutons, weird thing not to like, right? I find the store bought ones to be dry and flavorless and they just don't do much for me. But, the exception comes in the form of my own homemade croutons. They're buttery and chewy and crunchy all at the same time. Simple to make and such a welcome addition to a salad of any sort. 





How to Make:
Start with a baguette - it can be fresh or slightly stale, once baked both will make in a great crouton. Slice it into rough chunks/pieces. 
Stir the chunks around in a bowl with melted butter, and season with salt and pepper. 
This is where you can add in herbs and spices. I've tossed in some dried rosemary and it's quite nice. Once each piece is coated and buttery, lay out on a cookie sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven. 
Check every 3 minutes or so and toss around. 
They should darken and crisp up after about 10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment