Thursday, April 9, 2015

a big responsibility


Around Christmas I was asked by one of my oldest and dearest friends, who was recently engaged, to be her Maid of Honor! It was a question that literally brought me to tears. I was so overwhelmed with happiness and a sense of responsibility, knowing that I'm the person she wants and chose to stand next to her when she gets married. (Also, she's marrying the greatest guy ever, I totally hit the best friend husband jackpot!)

As I've gotten older, my friendships have grown in many different ways. It's been difficult to realize that some relationships grow apart and accepting that that is natural, but I truly feel so blessed and lucky to have the caring and wonderful support from a terrific group of people.


I've found that a challenging part of weddings and being a part of the wedding party is there's no set rules but everyone has lots of opinions about everything. I've come to the conclusion, that brides should do whatever makes them happiest and the bridal party is responsible to support that as best they can and in every way possible. As my first time being a maid of honor, I've totally lucked out with the most laid-back bride, who has made the whole process so enjoyable and fun.

One of my tasks that I'm most looking forward to is writing a speech. I have to admit that there's quite a bit of nervousness mixed in with that excitement. I have known the bride ever since I can remember and she's as close to a second sister as it gets. Our families spend Christmas morning together every year, we've vacationed together, spent summers at the cottage and many of my favorite memories involve her.  My goal is to write a speech that is heartfelt, funny and sentimental that leaves the bride knowing how very much she is loved, and that leaves her new husband knowing he has officially inherited another sister :) Also, I really hope I can make it through with out crying (although, not likely)!


I'd love to know - what do you think makes a good wedding speech!? We've all sat through terrible speeches, but also laughed along at great speeches. 
I'm going to get started writing my speech soon, so, any tips?

I don't think I'll choose to sing my speech, but this speech is providing some serious inspiration


In the past I've stayed away from posting super-personal things on Love Me Simply, but this was something special that I wanted to share. 
Thanks for reading. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment