Tuesday, January 8, 2013

out-crafted


D and I are expecting to move out in the coming months and we're going to be on a budget. So I was excited when this DIY project worked so well. The vases were a trio from Ikea for only $15, and the vanilla candles are my go-to favorite, also from Ikea. If you're needing something for a mantle or side table, this cheap and easy project will add a natural glow to any room. 
   

I taped off where the candle sat in the vase so that the rope would cover it.


Started off by glueing the rope to the vase right under the tape. 


Then I continued wrapping the rope around, adding small beads of glue to hold everything in place. 



Finished off by securing the rope at the base.

I have to admit that I was a little overzealous with the glue and it didn't end up looking too great inside. I would suggest using the hot glue sparingly and trying to put beads in the same spot each time around.


Then the camp kid came along and straight up outcrafted me! Without glue, he managed the exact same look that I had just spent twenty minutes trying to achieve. Google "how to wrap a paddle" and you'll get steps on how to achieve it sans glue too.



Regardless of the method, the final product gives a warm earthly look for our imaginary "to be" home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment