Friday, November 2, 2012

bouldering

{ Our friend Drew at Climber's Rock }


Earlier on this week we joined friends at their rock climbing gym, Climber's Rock in Burlington. D and I had been once before and we thought my sister and her boyfriend might enjoy it, so we asked our friends if we could tag along this week. You can walk in off the street and its about $20 for a day pass and shoe rental. 
It is a little intimidating at first because some of the climbers are really good, but everyones really friendly and the routes are labelled with tape so you're able to choose routes that meet your skill level. 
I was more comfortable returning to the gym a second time and really enjoyed challenging myself. There were about three different times where I tried a new route and wasn't able to complete it the first time. I would walk away and re-examine my approach and try again and really push myself to succeed. 

Now, I don't mean to sound to intense about rock climbing, but it felt really good to really push my physical and psychological strength! Leaving, I was really proud of what I accomplished and look forward to returning and challenging myself even more! It's a wonderful environment too - with people who are so encouraging and supportive!
What we did was called bouldering, so you aren't roped into a harness like you might think. The walls that you climb aren't too tall and the floor is a thick padded matt so it doesn't hurt if you fall. So you can approach the wall in your own time and there's no pressure!

If you're looking for something fun and different to try, I would definitely suggest bouldering! I must warn you though, expect the sorest forearms you've ever had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment